Friday, November 6, 2009

October - $60 bottle of wine.

Temecula: Southern California

Winery: Leonesse Cellars
38311 De Portola Road
Temecula, CA 92592
(951) 302-7601

http://www.leonessecellars.com

2006: Signature Selection Merlot

Price: $95, only 212 cases produced.

Description: Complex aromas of blackberry, coffee, tobacco, and vanilla accented by a subtle herbaceous note. Flavors of ripe cherry are complemented by firm, supple tannins and a long, lingering finish.

Wine is made of: 85% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Cabernet Franc, and 3% Petit Verdot.

Winegirl15: Why did I choose a Merlot you might ask? This is now a popular question since the movie “Sideways”. The quote from wine snob character Miles tells his friend Jack before a double-date dinner: "If anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving. I am not drinking any f -- Merlot." After the movie people wouldn’t order merlot, and if you dare order merlot people will look at you funny!

Now, I’ve done a little research on the subject of grapes (I majored in Psychology so don’t be too critical). And basically Merlot was one of the most popular and over produced grapes and even one of the most used grapes to blend… counterpart being Cabernet. In the early 80s Merlot grapes were rapidly planted until it was so widely available that it brought down the value. Some say that this could happen to the pinot grape. Interesting thought, or is that a myth because pinot grapes are more finicky to grow?

"Wine is more than a part of dinner - for many people, it's a fashion statement. And no varietal is more vulnerable to the vagaries of coolness than Merlot."

Personally, I don’t generally order merlot not because of the movie hype, but I find it to be your typical table red that is sometimes overly fruity in flavor. So, I would say I’m definitely a Cabernet or Pinot girl… However, if the Merlot is a high end wine… I have no problem ordering it! They can be outstanding!

This month I was surprised to see the winery my husband and I belong to sent out our shipment of 3 2006 Signature Select Merlots. Leonesse has 3 different wine club levels. Grant and I belong to the best of the best. And that is what they are. Leonesse is the best winery in the valley… hands down! They were even featured in Westways magazine for November/December issue. I’ve been a member for 4 years, and I will always remain a member there. I got engaged there, bachelorette party, and I go every other month (if not monthly). I suggest this wine for anyone that has a special occasion or a special holiday gift.

I thought the wine was exceptional. I really enjoyed this bottle of wine. I used my Vinturi aerator and sipped slowly. I could taste the blackberry, boysenberries, and a hint of tobacco. The finish definitely lingered and I had a hard to sharing with my husband. Good thing we have 2 more bottles!

Hope you enjoyed my blog! Below is a picture with one of the girls at Leonesse… I was enjoying a tasting of the 2006 Signature Select Merlot there! :)

Cheers,
xoB

No comments:

Post a Comment